Monday 12 September 2011

Time Travel

When I was younger, so much younger than today, I used to believe in time travel, fuelled no doubt by many episodes of Dr. Who viewed carefully from behind the sofa. Then I got older, and while not losing my hair, I left the things of childhood behind, or so I thought.

Break through the space / time continuum? Impossible! Well, no, it's not. 

On Sunday afternoon I managed to travel over 40 years back in time without the aid of a wacky Doc or a DeLorean, but by the simple expedient of watching my 10 year old son play in his first ever competitive football match.

Lawford United Football Club, hereinafter known as LUFC, (I just love those initials) under 11's took to the pitch after training hard all summer and suffering the indignity of massive defeats in friendly matches, albeit to teams from higher leagues.

The teams kicked off a little later than the scheduled 2.00pm start (the original referee didn't turn up and a replacement had to be found) and I was instantly transported back to the age of 10.

I don't know about the other parents, but it was like I was on the pitch myself, the adrenaline was surging as I kicked every ball and made every run. I tackled, blocked, and headed every ball. I marshalled the defence, I took the corners and free kicks, and made every save. All from the touchline where I shouted myself hoarse.

The LUFC under 11's did very well in their first match scoring twice very quickly and turned the home touchline into a frenzy of cheering. Alas it didn't last and they eventually lost 2-3. That was something else I remembered very clearly; the utter dejection of defeat. Still, age brings perspective and I was able to focus on the positives on the homeward debrief. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About

Is there anybody out there?